“ LUCK= OPPORTUNITY+PREPRATION ” – Casey Neistat
Casey Owen Neistat is an American YouTuber, filmmaker, co-founder of a multimedia company Beme & he founded a creative platform for creators to collaborate and create content named “368”.
He was born into a Jewish family in Gales Ferry, Connecticut on March 25, 1981, and at the age of 20 he moved out of his home after a fight with his mom and before moving to New York ,he worked as a dishwasher at a seafood restaurant, and was a short-order cook in Mystic, Connecticut and eventually created a small movie with his brother just for fun and found the whole movie making process very interesting and started making small 5-10 mins movies in his free time and this instance changed his life as he found storytelling interesting and wanted to make movies for a living and then he eventually moved to New York to be a filmmaker
Casey moved to New York without a plan just with a dream to be a filmmaker & lived with his friend. He did not listen to his dad`s advice to move back to Connecticut, he stayed in New York City and started making movies with his older brother Van. In 2001, Neistat and his brother started working with an artist named Tom Sachs, ultimately making a series of films about the artist’s sculptures and installations. His first big video was made in 2003 when his iPod battery died this video went viral.
This video exploded on the internet and after this in 2008, Casey and Van sold an 8-episode TV show to HBO which aired on the network in 2010 and in the same year he posted his first YouTube video and found the correct medium to share his story.
>What makes Casey`s video different from others?
His videos are authentic and relatable, he started to post daily vlogs on YouTube on March 26, 2015. On vlog post “The Vice President, Outer Space and the Baby”, Neistat stated that he sees his vlogs more like a forum as opposed to a daily journal. Neistat posted his 300th vlog on January 19, 2016.
His skills of storytelling and video editing also sets him aside from others and he was the one of the first YouTuber who made daily vlog famous. He uses his YouTube channel as a medium to share his personal life, his ideas, and lessons he learned.
Some of his lessons are –
DO WHAT YOU CAN’T- it is an inspirational video made by him in which he tells everyone to do what they are told that they cannot do , it is a video in which he express of how in his entire life he got famous from doing what he is told that he cannot do like when he wanted to move to New York to be a filmmaker but his dad told him that he can not move .
- Build over buy– Casey believes in it and is a real example for it as many equipments used by him in his studios are made by him, & he also uses many different props to tell stories.
- LIFE EXPLAINED IN 27 SECONDS- it is a great example of his storytelling skills
- CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY-Casey has been consistent in his work and made sure that his viewers had new content to watch and posted daily vlogs.
- LUCK= OPPORTUNITY+PREPRATION – In his Draw my life video, he explained that what he thinks luck is, and how Casey and his brother made a tv series and later on sold it to HBO known as “THE NIESTAT BROTHER”.
- 368 – It is the next project for Casey in his career, he explained 368 as a platform for all other creators to collaborate and share their stories & influence each other.